As the temperature starts to get a little more chilly, there are many things to get excited about... cosy nights in, yummy winter roasts, walks outside on beautiful winters day and maybe even a trip to the snow! On the flip-side, if you don't have the right heating for your home, winter can be downright miserable!
Now is the perfect time to assess your home to ensure that it has the right heating and ventilation to keep you & your family warm, healthy and happy over the winter months.
Warmth and heating solutions
There are many heating products on the market, and we understand that with so many options, it can be a little over whelming! According to Genesis Energy, heating can account for over 35% of our winter power bills! With this in mind, VoltWorks thinks it is super important to ensure you are aware of all the different heating options and solutions, so you make the best decision for your home.
Below is a list of some of the most efficient options around:
- Insulation - Insulation under your floors, in your walls and ceiling can make a huge difference when it comes to keeping your home warm and keeping the warmth IN you home. The thicker the insulation, the warmer your home will be. If you have an older home, with no or little insulation, you may be eligible for a grant from the government which could cover up to 90% of the cost of ceiling and underfloor insulation (for more information, click here). If your insulation is looking a little thin and worse for wear, we'd highly recommend talking to an insulation company about the best options for your home - it could make a huge difference!
- Heat Pumps - Heat pumps are incredibly efficient in cold weather. Using a heat pump can save you money compared to other forms of heating. A heat pump's running costs depend on how long you use it and its energy output. According to energywise.govt.nz, a heat pump used 6 hours per day for 6 months of the year with an energy output of 6KwH will cost around $400 per year to run. So, if you use a heat pump instead of an equivalent electric heater in your living space can save you around $500 a year.
With over 25% of NZ having a Heat pump in their home, heat pumps are the third most popular heating solution in NZ (for more information, click here) there is no hiding the fact that they are increasingly popular, and becoming a winter heating (and summer cooling) solution! Similar to insulation, there are government grants available for heat pumps (for more information, click here)
Top tips to get the most out of your heat pump:
1. Regularly clean the indoor and outdoor filters - at least once a year - its quick and easy to do (YouTube is your friend!), and you should be able to do it yourself.
2. Only heat the space you are using.
3. Make sure you switch off your heat pump when you are not using it.
4. Shut all of the doors and curtains to help keep the warmth in
5. Use the timer function to heat the room 10-15 minutes before you enter (you can even invest in an Smart Wifi remote so you can control your heat pump remotely!)
- Heat pump alternatives - if a heat pump isn't for you, there are many other effective heating options. Some of the options include: panel heaters, convection and oil column heaters, radiant heaters, infrared heaters, fan heaters and electric under floor heating. Each home is different, and therefore there is not a 'one size fits all' solution. More information on different heating methods can be found here.
- Heating in bathrooms - having a warm bathroom not only makes it easier to hop out of the shower on a cold winters morning, it also helps to prevent the build up of steam and condensation! There is a wide range of options to help keep bathrooms warm, which include under floor heating, heated towel rails, heat lamps, fan heaters and mirror de-misters.
So, there you have it, there are plenty of ideas and solutions to help keep your home warm over winter! We'd love to hear what you think, and if you have any other tips and ideas to keep homes warm e over winter!
We are only a call or email away, and always happy to have an obligation free chat about the best options for you!